News Briefs

Red hot move to Malibu

Red Hot Chili Peppers’ bassist Flea recently bought a $10 million beachfront home in Malibu, according to an article in last week’s Chicago Tribune. The one-story, 2,700-square-foot home purchased by Flea, whose real name is Michael Balzary, has four bedrooms and three bathrooms. It is located on a two-acre bluff, according to The Tribune.

Malibu fire destroys home

A two-story house at the 26000 block of Pacific Coat Highway near Corral Canyon Road was destroyed last Wednesday by a fire. The fire was reported just before 11 p.m., and was put out within an hour by approximately 45 firefighters. The two residents of the home were able to escape, and were not injured.

Also, according to KTLA-TV, a woman was injured when the car she was driving struck a Sheriff’s deputy’s car at the scene of the fire.

City notice on rent max

Advertisement

The city of Malibu released a statement last week that it has determined the 2007 annual formula rent increase for mobilehome park spaces is a maximum of 2.7 percent. The maximum percentage, according to the city, applies to all spaces that are not otherwise exempt from the Mobilehome Park Rent stabilitzation Ordinance.

Holiday closures

The Malibu Times Building and City Hall will be closed on New Year’s Day. Both facilities will reopen on Tuesday.

Winter weather prompts increase in life-threatening risks

This information was released by the National Fire Protection Association this week.

Hundreds of people die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year and it remains a serious threat no matter the season, but activities that typically increase with the onset of winter weather conditions pose an even greater risk. Recent tragic events throughout the country have served as sad reminders that carbon monoxide poisoning can result in death when it reaches unsafe levels. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) urges the public to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to take measures to ensure safe practices.

Many deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning could have been prevented by installing carbon monoxide alarms in the home to alert residents of its lethal levels before it is too late.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that enters the body undetected as a person breathes. The gas is produced by burning wood, coal, charcoal, natural gas, gasoline, propane, oil, methane, and other common fuels. It is also produced by automobiles and other gasoline or diesel engines.

When power outages occur, people naturally look for other ways to see and keep warm. As they look for alternatives for electricity and home heating, they should be aware that the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is sometimes elevated with supplemental equipment that is often used.

Portable generators are often used to meet electricity and heating needs in emergency situations. Homeowners are sometimes unaware of the risks associated with them like electric shock, electrocution and the most common risk, carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Mark W. Earley, P.E., assistant vice president/chief electrical engineer. “Risks associated with portable generators and many alternative sources for electricity and heat are minimized when owners are educated about the potential dangers and equipment is used properly.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, view Fact Sheets on NFPA’s Web site at http://www.nfpa.org under Research and Reports. NFPA suggests the following safety tips to avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide.

13StarsManager
https://malibutimes.com
The Malibu Times is the first newspaper in Malibu, serving the community since 1946.

Related Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Advertisement

%d bloggers like this: