Guido’s dishwasher dies; natural causes now suspected

0
131
A 32-year-old man was found dead outside Guido’s restaurant Sunday night around 8:30 p.m. While initial reports stated the man had been shot or beaten, it is now suspected he died of natural causes. An autopsy was expected to take place Wednesday. Photo by Julie Ellerton / TMT

A Wednesday autopsy was expected to determine the cause of death for a man found dead outside of Guido’s restaurant Sunday night. Initial reports stated the man had been shot or beaten.

By Knowles Adkisson / Associate Editor

A man found dead outside of Guido’s restaurant Sunday night may have died of natural causes, coroner’s officials say, after multiple reports initially suggested he had been killed.

The 32-year-old man was discovered dead outside of Guido’s at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday night. Initial reports stated the man had died in a shooting.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the scene and blocked off the back parking lot of the Malibu Village shopping center where Guido’s is located with yellow police tape.

Early Monday morning, a report written by Deputy Tony Moore distributed to news agencies said a group of unidentified assailants attacked the man as he went to take out the trash and savagely beat him to death.

But by Monday afternoon, sheriff’s officials were backtracking from that report.

Sheriff’s department spokesman Steve Whitmore told The Malibu Times on Monday that the man may have died of natural causes. Whitmore said an autopsy to be performed by the Los Angeles Department of Coroner on Wednesday would tell how the man died.

“That’s going to clear up a lot of questions,” Whitmore said. “The autopsy’s gonna tell us what happened.”

An official in the coroner’s office told The Malibu Times on Monday, “He wasn’t beaten to death. We won’t know until we do the [autopsy].”

When asked on Tuesday why the early reports suggested the man had been killed, Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said he was not sure.

“Whoever saw the body I think said there was a lot of blood,” Winter said. “And I guess there was a thought that maybe he would have been shot,” but that turned out not to be the case.

The man’s name had not been released by authorities as of Tuesday night when The Malibu Times went to press because his family had not been notified. A maintenance worker at Malibu Village who knew the man told The Malibu Times the man’s first name was Carlos.

Tony Waldrop, the manager of Guido’s restaurant, told the Los Angeles Times the man had worked there for about a year.

Guido’s part-owner Vassil Pertchinkov said he was not at the restaurant at the time and could not comment on specifics of the case due to the ongoing investigation.

“We are very sad that it happened,” Pertchinkov said. “It’s just very sad.”