News Briefs

0
211

City announces Trancas Park opening

A ribbon-cutting ceremony has been scheduled to celebrate the opening of the 13.5-acre Trancas Canyon Park. The ceremony will take place July 1 at 10 a.m.

The land, donated to the city in 2003, now houses a multiuse sports field, dog park, picnic area and tot lot, restrooms and parking, among other features.

Mayor Jefferson Wagner and other community leaders are scheduled to speak at the event.

More information can be obtained by calling 310.456.2489.

Lemonade stands raise funds for schools

Facing $7.1 million dollars in budget cuts, the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District looked like it was running out of money options when Measure A was defeated last month.

But students in the district are stepping up to the plate and raising money the way children have done it for years: with lemonade stands.

The lemonade stands are part of Project Lemon-Aid, which will use funds to support the Santa Monica-Malibu Education Foundation.

Linda Gross, the executive director for the foundation, said there were dozens lemonade stands during the weekend and at least four more on Monday, raising thousands of dollars for the foundation. “It’s amazing how these lemonade stands have continued and how they’ve spread,” Gross said in a telephone interview with The Malibu Times.

Gross said she was impressed with the community involvement. She said shopkeepers are supporting the school children by letting them set up stands in front of their stores, and even supplying them with water and other supplies to make the lemonade.

Gross said she keeps getting surprises: one woman called her up asking where to send the $500 she raised at a lemonade stand on Ocean Boulevard.

The foundation’s Web site, www.smef.org, says it needs about $1.9 million to restore elementary school teachers, about $2 million to restore secondary school teachers and counselors, and $700,000 to restore music teachers and librarians.

Gross said she expects the lemonade stand efforts to continue until the middle of August, the length of the foundation’s fundraising campaign.

Man leads Malibu deputies on PCH chase

A 35-year-old man led Malibu Sheriff’s deputies on a six-minute pursuit on Pacific Coast Highway last week Thursday that ended when a second spike strip flattened all four tires of the vehicle he was driving, according to a press release from the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station.

Juan Quijas was arrested and booked on charges of driving under the influence, evading police, being a convicted felon in possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of hashish.

The pursuit began at 11:05 a.m. near Paradise Cove, eastbound on Pacific Coast Highway, and ended near the Pepperdine University campus. Quijas, who was driving a 2001 Honda Civic, veered into on-coming traffic and nearly hit numerous parked cars as he reached speeds up to 50 miles per hour along Pacific Coast Highway, the release states.

Although Quijas stopped for some traffic signals, he did not respond to the flashing lights and sirens of the deputy’s patrol cars as he continued to drive in an erratic and dangerous manner, the release stated. Quijas eluded the first attempt by deputies as they laid down a spike strip, but he failed to negotiate a second spike strip, which flattened all four tires on his vehicle. Quijas pulled over and surrendered to the pursuing deputies at the intersection of John Tyler Drive and Pacific Coast Highway.

Deputies discovered a handgun, drugs and what they first thought to be stolen items in the car he was driving. The suspected stolen items later turned out to be personal property of a friend of Quijas who lives in the Malibu area.

Sheriff’s deputies stated in a report that he seemed dazed and under the influence of a controlled substance as he staggered out of the car and into the custody of the pursuing deputies. Following medical observation at a nearby hospital, he was booked at Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’ Station.

The bail for suspect Quijas was set at $75,000 on his open charges, plus a $30,000 warrant, bringing his total bail to $105,000.

Summer childcare option saved

A summer childcare program at Juan Cabrillo Elementary School that was scheduled to be closed for the summer months has been saved by funding from nonprofit group The Cornucopia Foundation.

Two weeks ago, the school notified childcare provider Zoe Langley they were forced to cut her summer program after Langley had been teaching Malibu children for 25 years.

Cornucopia and Langley have had a long relationship, as Langley uses the Environmental Learning Center located behind Juan Cabrillo to integrate environmental studies into her year round program. This week Langley will be planting pumpkins, donated by Malibu Gardens, and harvesting them later in the year.

Cornucopia stepped in to fund the summer program to keep this option in place for working families.

“As a working parent, I can tell you that panic sets in when you lose your childcare solution,” Holly Dudley, managing director of Cornucopia said in a written statement. “We are thrilled to fund the program and we are looking forward to a fun summer with Zoe and the kids.”

“Cornucopia Camp with Zoe” will run all summer starting June 28, offering childcare for children ages kindergarten through fifth grade from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

More information can be obtained by e-mailing thecornucopiafoundation@gmail.com.

Former NFL player pleads not guilty for DUI

Former NFL running back Corey Dillon pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor DUI charges Monday in Malibu Superior Court.

Dillon was arrested on Mullholland Highway near Highway 101 during the early hours of April 21.

Sheriff’s Lt. Rich Erickson told the associated press that two deputies noticed Dillon and another male occupant driving a red Camaro with paper license plates. They pulled Dillon over and arrested him on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

A pretrial hearing for Dillon has been set for Aug. 10.

By Stan Parker