PCH remains closed, more rain expected on Christmas Day

A nine-mile section of Pacific Coast Highway remains closed in both directions between Yerba Buena Road and Las Posas Road due to falling rock and boulders caused by the recent heavy rains, according to Caltrans.

An official for Caltrans said that rock climbers employed by the state are scaling the hillside along the highway to remove loose debris and boulders and will do so until Sunday, as long as the clear weather continues. If rain returns to the area, the highway will remain closed in that area until further notice.

Motorists are advised to plan alternate routes, such as Kanan Road, Decker Canyon Road or the 101 Freeway.

The recent storm, which has brought record rainfall to Southern California, is the result of a rare weather pattern that comes through the area about once every 10 years, has ended. Sunny weather is expected to return for Thursday, Friday and early Saturday. According to the National Weather Service, another storm will come through Saturday night, with a 70 percent chance of rain. Sunday is expected to be partly cloudy with only a 30 percent chance of rain.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said: “After five days of rain, the ground is saturated throughout our county. With another major storm scheduled to hit Los Angeles, it won’t take much to destabilize hillsides and slopes.” Should a problem arise in your community, here are some phone numbers to call:

If you live in unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County, such as in the Santa Monica or San Gabriel mountains, please call (626) 458-HELP (4357). To report storm drain or sewer line problems in the City of Los Angeles, contact the Bureau of Sanitation at (213) 485-7575 between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and midnight. Other problems can be reported by calling the city’s central services number 311. No matter where you live in the region, for life threatening emergencies call 911.

Advertisement

Other important numbers:

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department- (310) 456-6652

Los Angeles County Fire Department – (310) 317-1802

Malibu Urgent Care: (310) 456-7551

Electric: Southern California Edison – (800) 611-1911 (24-hour emergency number)

13StarsManager
https://malibutimes.com
The Malibu Times is the first newspaper in Malibu, serving the community since 1946.

Related Articles

Advertisement

Latest Articles

%d bloggers like this: