High-speed chase ends in crash near Geoffrey’s


A high-speed chase involving a helicopter and a European sports car ended Tuesday night when a woman who refused to pull over for a routine traffic stop in West Los Angeles crashed her vehicle into a wall near Geoffrey’s Malibu.

Jill Rosen, 28, was tackled by a law enforcement officer after crashing her Audi just north of Via Escondido Drive and fleeing on foot, Public Information Officer Miguel Luevano of the California Highway Patrol said. Rosen had led the officers on a nearly half-hour chase, reaching speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The chase began at 7:57 p.m. when Rosen failed to yield to authorities at Century Park East and Olympic Boulevard in West L.A. because the car’s registration was out of date, Luevano said. Rosen led pursuing patrol cars through several streets in the West L.A./Beverly Hills border area before entering the Santa Monica Freeway via the Overland Avenue onramp.

An LAPD helicopter joined three patrol cars in the chase as Rosen drove westbound on the freeway before heading north on Pacific Coast Highway. Along the way, Rosen collided with at least one other vehicle and destroyed a light pole, Luevano said, although no one was injured.

The patrol cars had been following approximately a quarter mile behind Rosen on Pacific Coast Highway but decided to end their chase at Las Flores Canyon Rd. when officers determined they could not safely keep up with Rosen as she drove in excess of 100 miles per hour. The LAPD helicopter continued the chase.

At 8:20 p.m., Rosen crashed into a wall near Via Escondido Drive, fleeing on foot. Officers still in the area pursued and apprehended Rosen, who was described by Luevano as “very combative” upon her arrest.

Rosen had three outstanding warrants with separate police agencies in West L.A., UCLA and Culver City. One was for failure to appear and two for driving without a license, which Luevano said could explain why Rosen fled. Her four-door Audi is registered out of Santa Monica.

She was taken to downtown Los Angeles for further interrogation, then transferred to Century Sheriff’s Office in Lynwood.